CLOSES: Until Filled
JOB TITLE: School Bus Driver (Part Time)
REPORTS TO: Operations Specialist
DEPT. / SCHOOL: Transportation / Bob Hope School / Middle School Campus Port Arthur
Provide safe, orderly, and efficient transportation of students to and from school and on extracurricular trips.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. o Class B (or A) commercial driver’s license with “P” and “S” endorsement and air brake approval (absence of restriction “L”) o Successfully complete twenty (20) hour Texas DPS School Bus Driver Certification Course within first six months of employment o Attend and successfully complete triennial eight (8) hour refresher courses
Licenses, Certifications and Other Requirements: o Must have current Texas Department of Public Safety School Bus Driver Certification o Must be able to pass an annual physical and mental examination as required by Texas
Department of Public Safety o Must maintain an acceptable driving record for school bus drivers as defined by Texas
Department of Public Safety
Special Knowledge/Skills: o Ability to pass pre-employment and periodic drug and alcohol screenings as required by federal law o Ability to complete and maintain required bus driver safety training o Ability to follow verbal and written instructions o Ability to proficiently read, write, and communicate verbally in English and understand instructions for safety procedures o Knowledge of student discipline procedure o Ability to manager student behavior o Ability to operate bus and other fleet vehicles
Experience: o Experience as a school bus driver preferred but not required o Experience working with children preferred but not required
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
School Bus Driver:
1. Report to work in accordance with assigned work schedule
2. Maintain cooperative relationship with staff members, administrators, school, and community
3. Adhere Bob Hope School personnel policies and procedures and fleet policy
4. Perform and document a pre-trip and post-trip inspection on every vehicle driven according to approved Bob
Hope School Fleet Policy and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration guidelines and report all defects in writing to the School Office immediately
5. Check bus for mechanical defects before and after each operation and notify supervisor of needed repairs
6. Exercise caution and safety while driving; obey all traffic laws and safety guidelines for school buses.
7. Follow assigned route and adhere to established schedules as written and communicate changes to appropriate office staff
School Bus Driver (Part Time)
8. Ensure student safety while loading and unloading students
9. Maintain student discipline to ensure the safety of students being transported, address student discipline issues using approved techniques, and communicate with school personnel regarding student behavior on the bus
10. Report and complete all required documentation for vehicle collisions, vehicle damage, and student injuries
11. Keep assigned bus cleaned and fueled
12. Drive bus to pick up and/or drop off students on scheduled routes as needed
13. Drive bus to and from extracurricular trips as needed
14. Maintain confidentiality in all matters concerning student transportation for Bob Hope School
15. Attend training as necessary
16. Perform other duties as assigned
Buffer, auto scrubber, wet/dry vacuum cleaner, shampooer and extractor, power washer, and propane burnisher, power tools, and other equipment as needed
Reading; ability to understand verbal instructions. Ability to cope with ever-changing traffic environment.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequent standing, stooping, bending, twisting, kneeling, pushing, pulling, strenuous walking, standing and/or climbing.
Work outside and inside; exposed to hot and cold temperatures.
Exposure to dust, toxic chemicals, and materials.
May have exposure to biological hazards.
Slippery or uneven walking surfaces. o Move and carry small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other equipment.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills that may be required.
I have read and understand the responsibilities and duties required for this position as outlined above.
ABOUT BOB HOPE SCHOOL
Bob Hope School is a growing open-enrollment public charter school (non-profit) providing parents a choice in their child's education. Bob Hope Elementary is a Montessori / Dual-Language campus. Instruction is conducted in a two-way immersion program, where teachers fluent in English teach ELA and those fluent in Spanish teach SLA and are supported by teacher aides with a strong command of both languages. Campuses are located in Port Arthur and Beaumont, Texas. The Hughen Center, Inc. is the charter holder of Bob Hope School.
This job description has been reviewed to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the District reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the District may deem appropriate.
Bob Hope School provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.